Wednesday, January 07, 2009

OUCH!

Last night when I got home Riley was having fun hitting two rocks together trying to break the bigger one into smaller pieces. I'm putting away my stuff when he comes over crying because he got a piece of rock in his eye. I look and see it, almost right smack in the center of his eye. I tried to get it out but he had rubbed his eye enough that it was kinda stuck. By now he's crying hard.

Called Marci to come help and with both of us working on it, we were able to get it out. Whew! But while we were working on it, we were both in that mild parent panic because it looked like he had rubbed his eye hard enough to embed the piece of rock in it and we weren't able to get it out. I kept reminding myself - and Marci - to stay calm and don't freak him out. At one point I thought we would have to call 911 to get some help. But then Marci was able to get it with a moist q-tip.

Then Riley was fine, his eye didn't bother him at all the rest of the night. Sucks to learn a lesson the hard way, but now he knows to wear protective eye gear the next time he wants to do something like that. ;)